Sunday, November 28, 2010

My Belly Dances


Drumroll please....  Today - for the first time since attaching a giant purple bow to my head and tap dancing in pre-K - I performed in a dance recital.  I've been taking Belly Dance classes for a few weeks, and although I joined late in the semester, I managed to learn the routine in time to perform in the Christmas showcase (I almost said winter - I can't get me head around the fact that it's summer here).  Performing was so much fun!  By the time you're out there on stage it doesn't really matter if you lead with your left foot instead of your right - you're just surrounded by a room of people who are encouraging you.

The school has a huge spectrum of dancers - from beginner to professional, kids to grandmas, and all body shapes and sizes - but everyone looked gorgeous on stage.  It just shows you how important confidence and attitude are.  And it's pretty amazing when an activity can make every sort of woman feel beautiful and sassy.

Lately I've been trying to do more classes and activities to meet people in the city and have my own routine, especially since Mark's been working nights.  Belly Dance was great, but now it's on summer break for a month and a half.  I'm taking a great outdoor boxing class a few days a week, but I'm also trying to think of other interesting classes and activities.  I'd love any suggestions, challenges, or input!


No comments:

Post a Comment