Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Heating Up

The Pier directly behind our Apartment

Finally, we're getting some proper Australian weather - blue skies and heat, heat, heat!  Just as the fireplaces put to work at home, we had to fire up our air conditioner (AirCon as the Aussies say) for the first time this week.  Today I walked outside and thought "It can't possibly just keeping getting hotter for three more months!"

One Australian tradition that is especially nice in the heat is the markets.  Australians have all sorts of markets, from craft to clothing, but on Saturday and Wednesdays the food markets set up.  They're a deal, since grocery stores are very expensive here, but it's also a very fun environment.  You're buying your pineapple from the farmer who grows it just down the road, which is something you really can't beat!

Another thing that can't be beat is my hard work paying off - the stories I've been writing for Totally Wild are finally starting to go to air!  It takes a few months for the stories I write to be filmed, edited, and prepared for TV, so the stories I wrote at the beginning of September are now having their time in the spotlight.  You can see Totally Wild here: http://ten.com.au/watch-tv-episodes-online.htm.  For Monday November 15th's episode, I wrote everything the presenter says, and wrote & produced the story on Quolls.  On Wednesday's episode I wrote the presenter's lines, and  the young author story (and went to the shoot!).

For the stories I produce I write the script, choose the vision I want, and do a rough cut of the story before the editors work their magic (in the form of a 10-hour shift) to make it look great.  It was awesome seeing my work on TV - I think the whole office knew when my segments were on!

No comments:

Post a Comment