Tuesday, September 21, 2010

How in the Hell.... ?


Now, I know some of you have bad eyesight. But I've squinted, crinkled my nose, and turned my head sideways, and I still don't understand how many early settlers to Australia mistook this animal for a mermaid.  Ariel?  I think not.

What you're looking at is a dugong, one of the few animals swimming through Australian waters that cannot maim or kill you.  Looking very similar to a manatee (even though it's nearest relative is the elephant), the dugong sent early explorers for quite a loop.  Apparently lady dugongs can get quite busty after giving birth, and the explorers grew convinced that mermaids were just another of the strange creatures on this continent.  I probably would have jumped to the conclusion of small whale, or rotund dolphin, but the little mermaid must have mean something entirely different 1770 when Captain Cook sailed in.

These are a few of the interesting Australian facts I've been learning writing for Totally Wild.  I love working for the show, but unfortunately it means I don't have too much time to explore during the week.  Combined with this weekend being cold and rainy (there's been something like 10 times the normal about of rain this September), it's been a slow blog week.

As I typed that, however, a Kookaburra laughed in the back yard... a pretty quick reminder that even on cold and rainy days I'm still thrilled to be in Australia.

No comments:

Post a Comment