Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Dinner Options


Last night, I had kangaroo for dinner.  I'd like to say that it was because I love to try new things, or because it's the environmentally-friendly option.  After all, kangaroos are a lot friendlier to the Australian environment than sheep or cattle, since they're designed to live in a place where temperatures can reach well over 100 degrees and it just might decide that it doesn't want to rain for a few months. 

But, truth is, I just wanted to say I'd done it.  I've never eaten crocodile or caribou.  The most adventurous I'd been before this was an ostrich burger, with plenty of ketchup.  And even the Aussies don't eat much kangaroo. After a shocked look at my dinner options, one said to me, "Ew, don't eat kangaroos." Why? Dangerous diseases or tainted processing plants?? Nope.   "Because they're so cute."

Sadly, it wasn't exciting, and really, it wasn't even that good.  I cheated a bit and bought a marinated pack that just had to be thrown on the grill.  The meat looked just like a regular steak, but it was gamey and tough, with a bit of a distinctive taste, even under the garlic lemon marinade.  While I'd be willing to try kangaroo again, I think I can safely say that it won't be replacing Mom's fillets in my diet any time soon.  Of course, Mom's top-notch fillets could probably make any meat seem a bit tough.

No comments:

Post a Comment