Friday, November 25, 2011

An Aussie Thanksgiving


After two years of missing out on Turkey Coma, I decided that this year, some Thanksgiving was better than none.  Planning the holiday on the other side of the globe took some adjusting.  Here turkey is reserved for Christmas, so we had a fish dinner (I'm sure they ate fish in Plymouth too!), and our feast had to be cooked around our work schedules.  But when it came down to it, we had the essentials - a great evening with the family, and delicious dessert.

Most Australians have heard of Thanksgiving, but not too many know what the holiday is for.  I didn't have time to make everyone pilgrim hats and feather headdresses, but I did give a little history lesson. Mostly, I tried to convey how Thanksgiving is such a beautiful celebration of everything we're thankful for - from the little things like a football win, right up to wonderful family and friends. 

For some reason, one thing Aussies all know about is pumpkin pie.  Anyone I mentioned Thanksgiving to asked if I was making pumpkin pie, or "Does your Mum (translation: Mom) have a special recipe?"  As someone who has never had pumpkin pie, at Thanksgiving or otherwise, I got a kick out of their fascination.  But for now, I'll stick to apple crisp.

No comments:

Post a Comment