Thursday, December 16, 2010

Summer Storms


When I bought a waterproof camera for Australia, this is not what I had in mind.  From Sydney to Brisbane, the east coast has been battered by storms bringing hail, heaps of lightening, and even tornadoes through the area today.  Australians are used to summer storms, but even the natives admitted that today's weather was extreme.  

Unfortunately cameras can't catch some things, and the deluge of rain and lightening like fireworks this afternoon had to be seen first hand.  As I got ready to go grocery shopping, the sun was shining over my deck, although there were a few more clouds than there had been earlier.  When I opened the front door, which faces the opposite direction, it was like a different day - low, dark clouds, and a wall of water heading toward me.  By the time I walked to the car, the sun had been gobbled up, and the sky was lit only by lightening striking in all directions.  

I've got to hand it to the Aussies though - they can carry on through a storm!  Although the windshield wipers were working double time, and the headlights were on, traffic kept moving without any problems.  I guess Bostonians learn to drive in the snow, and Queenslanders learn to drive in the rivers that flow where their streets used to be. 


No comments:

Post a Comment