Friday, January 6, 2012

Christmas Down Under


Merry [belated] Christmas!  

Last year I posted about the different ways Aussies celebrate Christmas.  One of the biggest differences is that Aussie Christmases almost always involve the beach.  And that was certainly true for me this year.  On Christmas Eve we packed up the pressies and the prawns, and headed to Stradbroke Island, a summer oasis.  

After a year and a half in Australia, I was more prepared for my second summer Christmas.  I accepted that a "real" Christmas tree wasn't in the cards this year, and embraced the scrawny, plastic tree in our lounge room.  I even began to think it was cute, in a Grinchy sort of way.  I came to peace with the fact that I couldn't make marshmallow wreaths, because in the Queensland heat, they came out more like marshmallow mush, and I looked up some new recipes for Christmas cookies that could survive the summer.

Although I don't think a mid-summer celebration will every feel truly Christmasy to me, a celebration on the beach with fresh fruit and fresh seafood was wonderful.  But I must admit, I was dreaming of a white Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment